A Selfie A Day Keeps the Doctor Away

The selfie is a weird phenomenon within the world of technology, yet it is one of the most popular forms of photographs to take. They are so popular, yet I feel like you rarely see them on social media outside of something like Snapchat that isn't permanent as they are too "casual" for Instagram and honestly are actually super personal. For example if you go through any girls phone, you would fine thousands of selfies that no one will actually see, but are kept as reminders, memories and or honesty in my case, confidence boosters. Jurgenson doesn't seem to be the biggest fan of selfies, especially when it comes to tourists using their selfies sticks and obnoxiously taking selfies around the world. On page 78-79, he talks about this idea of a dog living in the moment and just existing, where as a person taking a photograph of a dog is aware of their existence and by capturing a social photograph takes them out of the moment and makes is so we cannot just simply exist like the dog.I agree with that idea 100%, but I actually love taking selfies and think that my selfies with Nova are actually really important to me and my mental health story, in fact I take selfies with Nova probably everyday not just because we are super cute, but to show and capture my life in my best and worst moments. From cuddling in bed every morning, to capturing our many adventures, like the one I recently posted, selfies with Nova are my documentation of how much her presence helps me and my over all well-being. My selfies are living proof that she impacts my mental health in such a positive way so for that reason I am a huge fan of taking them with her, plus I think she loves them too hence her super photogenic faces. When I take them I may not fully be in the moment and am just existing but, I am happy and that is because of her and it is important to remember that. 














Comments

Popular Posts